Sunday, March 11, 2007

A place where design matters


Backyard cottage
Originally uploaded by paintchipdiaries.
When I moved to San Jose back in 2003, I was surprised at how difficult it was to find good design (and I don't mean the computer programming kind) in this relatively affluent, third largest city in California. Having worked at various design and architecture firms in San Francisco, it seemed like the South Bay was geographically too fragmented and lacked the established art and design institutions to really fuel a vibrant, creative community. So I started my own design business to provide the access to design products and services that I was not seeing around me. Since then, I realize that there are many other designers and artists in San Jose who share variations on this story. (Thank you, Lisa and Alison, for taking the initiative!) I enjoyed meeting many of you at the first ADF meeting last month and look forward to the growth of this creative business forum!

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I've found that there have been unique homes in San Jose that developers will come and homogenize just to make them more "neutral."

There was home a couple of years ago on Minnesota Ave in Willow Glen that was a great example of Bauhaus design (even though I believe it was built in the 40's).
Someone came in and totally changed into a blah modern ranch.
I literally well up with tears.

Gah!